Monday, July 16, 2007

single-minded devotion

Today on Sacred Gateway, the reading is the parable of the Good Samaritan (Luke 10:25-37). What stood out today were the opening and closing lines of the parable.

The lawyer asked, "Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?"

Jesus replied, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbour as yourself."

And then there are the closing words of Jesus, "Go and do likewise."


I have begun reading Dietrich Bonhoeffer's The Cost of Discipleship. I suppose in a way, it took me some three-and-a-half years to progress from being in the Bonhoeffer group at d'NA to actually picking up a book by the man himself.

Some of you may know that discipleship is a theme that tends to appear quite frequently on my blog. Well, at least more frequently than other themes.

And I find myself wondering, can we reach a point where Jesus is all that matters? UM was an unexpected turn of events. I'd always wanted to go as far as I could and explore something totally new. Yet here I find myself in the midst of the very familiar, and yet also, I believe this is where I am meant to be for now.


There's a song that speaks of rest, of devotion, of encouragement. Which is what I badly need now, having the flu and trying to cope with the early stages of uni life.

Times of refreshing
Here in Your presence
No greater blessing
Than being with You

My soul is restored
My mind is renewed
There's no greater joy Lord
Than being with You


Is there no greater joy than being with our Lord? Sometimes I think I am in UM in order to learn devotion. At times I believe it would be easier for me to seek God in a foreign land and build a new life there.

Maybe that's where the word 'refreshing' comes in. There is nothing particularly 'new' about UM and this environment; yet in the familiar I must seek what I had always been avoiding. Can I refresh my life here? Build a new character?


Eliot's words, "And what you know is what you do not know."

With all my heart, with all my soul, with all my strength, and with all my mind.


Random one coming up...


David at KLCC, prior to Yen's birthday lunch.

No comments: