Thursday, July 19, 2007

mostly about not worrying

I have seen how the Africans worship and I like the style.


At that time Jesus said, I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and the intelligent and have revealed them to infants...

--Matthew 11:25-27


Today's Sacred Gateway reading and a conversation with a 2nd-year senior this morning seem to be saying the same thing to me: don't worry, just enjoy uni.

Beverly (an Economics student at my college) is one of the brightest students in her faculty and a banana like me (whee!). Although she says she ought not to be called a banana, as she's very Chinese (i.e. not white), only that she doesn't speak or write Chinese.

Anyway, she took on a whole spread of activities and projects in her first year and still made it to the Dean's List. Talking to her reminds me of myself back in my schooldays. I suppose I've been hanging out with the wrong seniors; most sound like doomsday preachers (OK, maybe that was a little exaggerated, but the idea remains).

And here God has hidden the things of the kingdom from the wise and intelligent and has revealed them to infants. So I am certain it is not fear that will carry me through this year, but the joy of the Lord.

Why should this year be any different from the last fourteen years of my life?


"Let my heart become one with yours."

Thus the daily prayers at Sacred Gateway begin.

"Teach me to have a childlike trust in you."

And thus they end.


Let my heart become one with yours.
Let my heart become one with yours.
Let my heart become one with yours.

(I can already hear an African rhythm for this line!)

Amen.

No comments: