Sunday, February 18, 2007

Things to remember at CNY

"Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their forefathers to give them. Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."

--Joshua 1:6-9 (NIV)



This morning, in line with the Chinese New Year, Pastor Kuan Ming spoke on 'God's Way to Success and Prosperity'; his text was taken from Joshua 1:1-9.

I was at first somewhat alarmed when I heard the words 'success' and 'prosperity' because I'm quite aware of the much famed and derided Prosperity Gospel. Not that I know exactly what it's about, but basically it comes across to me as something that sounds like a motivational session with Anthony Robbins: Awaken the Giant Within!!!


But Pastor Kuan Ming's message was nothing like that. And when I read the passage, I noticed that the words 'prosperity' and 'success' appear in the very Word of God. I read it in the NASB version in church, and I've quoted the NIV translation above.

How are we to be successful and prosperous? By obeying God's law and meditating on His Word at all times. That simple. And that hard.

Three times God says: be strong and courageous. And the third time, God promises to be with us wherever we go.


Then Pastor Kuan Ming mentioned the well-known encounter between Joshua and the Captain of the Lord's Army.

Now when Joshua was near Jericho, he looked up and saw a man standing in front of him with a drawn sword in his hand. Joshua went up to him and asked, "Are you for us or for our enemies?"

"Neither," he replied, "but as commander of the army of the LORD I have now come." Then Joshua fell facedown to the ground in reverence, and asked him, "What message does my Lord have for his servant?"

--josh 5:13-14 (NIV)


He said, we don't recruit the Captain of the Lord's Army; He recruits us.


I'm just mentioning all this because I think I need to be reminded of these things from time to time.

To be reminded that success and prosperity are Biblical.

That God's Word is central.

That God's law must be obeyed.

That God will be with me, and because of that I can be strong and courageous.

That God is my Master, not the other way around.


Remember.

1 comment:

ming said...

if Jesus is your co-pilot, switch places