Monday, June 26, 2006

Reflections: The Imitation of Christ

I must say that The Imitation of Christ irked me on many counts. The basic premise of total and utter dependence on God is sound. However, at various points, the author seemed to portray the physical as evil (as opposed to the spiritual, which is good). He maintained that we should not delight in anything in this world (should we not appreciate God's creation? can I not enjoy eating my roti canai and satay?). He even put forth the idea that we should not look to others for consolation and support, but be only dependent on God, which (I feel) borders dangerously on a lone-ranger mentality. Being a big believer in the importance of community and accountability, the last point triggered an alarm in my belief system every time I came across it.

Having said all that, I understand where Thomas a Kempis is comping from, and wonder if I will ever be able to depend upon God as far as he writes. Recently, I have been meditating upon the need to come to God empty, devoid of everything, and the importance of "going for broke" for God. What am I willing to give up? I disagree with Kempis when he says I should not take pleasure in anything but (spiritual communion with) God and should disassociate myself from my friends, but I recognize the need to be ready to give up any pleasure and friendship. Am I up to that challange?

The point is this: I have never been particularly attached to possesions or wealth - I have seen my parents more than content with the basics of life and have adopted that for my own. My one vice would be computer games - and I think I have learnt when to put those aside. I might even be willing to give up the little pleasures of life - and yes, I have considered the cost of my reputation, a question I cannot easily answer, but hope, by God's grace, to persevere. Career I believe I have given over to God. Until reading this book though, I had not considered the love of family and friends (separation and death seems much easier). It is indeed a scary price - a sacrifice I hope I never have to make, or even consider making. In light of the family and friends I have, I doubt I will have to do so. Still, there it is. If anyone would not deny his own father and mother for My sake...