Monday, April 10, 2006

A thought for Holy Week

A thought for Holy Week, and something I have been thinking about through Lent.

We tend to take for granted that we will be spiritually nourished by reading the Bible and going to church. Our experience often does not match up, however; we find our Bible readings to be dry and church services to be merely going through the motions. There are many reasons for that; sometimes we even need to go through such periods in order to grow. Nonetheless, shoudln't we pray for spiritual nourishment? Shouldn't we pray desperately for it?

Our Father, who art in heaven,
Hallowed be Thy name,
Thy kingdom come,
Thy will be done on earth,
As it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread -
Both physical and spiritual...

3 comments:

silentsoliloquy said...

Spiritual disciplines can easily lose their meaning.. I've been fasting three times a week since Lent began, but apart from restraining myself from satisfying the desires of the flesh I wonder whether I have really "fasted" at all. But my answer to your question is yes, we should indeed seek after spiritual nourishment desperately. The complication I can see is however that our other "needs" that seem more pressing will distract us from satisfying the hunger deep within.

MadCat said...

I thought i read "spiritual punishment"...till i saw soot's comment...wakakaka. Which does make sense...

SimianD said...

Sometimes spiritual punishment is needed... (oops, do I sound like an Opus Dei preacher?)